Independent Living Specialist – Middletown Location
Freedom Center is a consumer-driven organization providing a variety of services and supports that enable persons with disabilities to live independently. We are currently seeking 2 creative, positive self-starter to expand our staff serving lower New Castle County.
Ideal candidates for the Independent Living Specialist position will have personal and/or professional experience with disability, strong problem solving skills, an understanding of the issues relevant to the constituency served, knowledge of the programs, resources and entitlements available to them, and an understanding of the laws that are critical to ensuring people with disabilities achieve full inclusion in our society.
The Independent Living Specialist is the key point person for the organization in responding to consumers, their family members, social service professionals and the public at large. Critical to the position is the staff’s ability to engage the constituent in the process of identifying options and possible solutions and facilitating their taking ownership and responsibility for the outcome. Freedom Center’s mission is to promote consumer choice and control. All programs are delivered using a person centered planning approach.
Major Job Functions Include
- Provide information and referral and self-advocacy skills training.
- Coordinate peer support activities which include facilitating cross disability groups and providing individual one – on – one peer support;
- Provide independent living skills training and develop workshops as appropriate, as well as support the development of IL Plans with individual consumers;
- Communicate program deliverables, accomplishments and outcomes;
- Represent the organization in promoting independent living philosophy through presentations, community outreach, and participation on committees;
- Maintain appropriate records and files on interactions with constituents;
- Network with other professionals and targeted policy decision makers to ensure the improvement and creation of programs and services in response to the needs of people with disabilities.
- The Independent Living Specialist must possess excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills and the personality to successfully develop relationships with the constituency served and interfaces with professional colleagues.
- Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study and be computer literate (Office 2000). Demonstrated ability and experience may be substituted for college degree.
How to Apply
Forward letter of interest and resume to the attention of Patricia Maichle at Freedom Center for Independent Living, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. All Applicants should attach their resume/letter and put “Application for ILS position – February 2021” in the SUBJECT line of the email.
The both positions will be open until they are filled.
Part time position 24 hours/week. Salary commensurate with experience
Freedom Center is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Welcome to the Freedom Center employment page! If you’re looking for a rewarding career in becoming a team member of an organization that seeks to accomplish the mission of promoting independent living and full access for individuals with disabilities through advocacy, understanding, education and action in our communities, then you should join our Freedom Center family today!!