Welcome to the Freedom Center employment page! If you’re looking for a rewarding career in becoming a team member of an organization that seeks to accomplish the mission of promoting independent living and full access for individuals with disabilities through advocacy, understanding, education and action in our communities, then you should join our Freedom Center family today!!
Transition Specialist – Middletown, DE
Accessible Version of Application:
Freedom Center is a consumer-driven organization providing a variety of services and supports that enable persons with disabilities to live independently. We are currently seeking a creative, positive self-starter to expand our staff serving lower New Castle County.
The Transition Specialist will work as a member of the Freedom Center’s team to empower people with disabilities to live independent and inclusive lives. The Transition Specialist is responsible for providing pre-transition services which may include housing assistance, coordination of benefits, establishing budgets and many other activities to assist participants with their discharge from an institutional setting. The Transition Specialist will demonstrate a passion for and commitment to the concepts and philosophy of independent living and self-determination of persons with disabilities.
- Experience in human services, social work or similar field – recent graduates encouraged to apply
- Proficient computer skills including video conferencing, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Exceptional verbal, written, customer service and organizational skills
- Excellent time management, initiative-taking with an ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks
- Bilingual helpful but not required
- Professional appearance and manner
- Personal experience with disability preferred
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Ability to effectively relate to people with disabilities to conduct needs assessment, identify their goals, and develop individualized independent living goal plans
- Understand the needs of persons with disabilities and the barriers they face
- Determine the needs and desires of nursing facility residents seeking a return to community living
- Provide information to nursing facility residents about transitioning to community-based living
- Provide information and referral information to nursing facility residents (consumers) that will enable them to identify the healthcare, social services, and daily living supports they may need to live independently and connect them with organizations and agencies that can provide those ongoing services and supports
- Maintain up-to-date records on consumers as required by the Center’s regulations
- Establish professional working relationships with all Social Workers, Directors of Nursing, Executive Directors, and other staff of the nursing homes served within the Center’s catchment area of lower New Castle County
- Attend care conferences and discharge planning meetings to allow for a smooth transition with consumers
- Participate in community presentations
- Ability to establish working relationships with community providers, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing facilities and other institutions and organizations for targeted outreach activities for the purpose of increasing awareness of the organization
- Provide follow-up with consumers to assure their goals/needs are being met through their Independent Living (IL) Plan
- Respond appropriately to e-mail, phone or in-person inquiries in a timely manner
- Keep detailed records of all contacts; maintain confidential consumer documentation
- Ability to complete annual program narrative reports
- Ability to interact with fellow employees and be part of the Center’s team
- Ability to travel within Delaware as needed
- Other duties as assigned by Direct Supervisor or the Executive Director
Note: Successful candidates will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
Part time position 30 hours/week. PTO and Holiday Pay available. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
If you have the prerequisite experience and skills please mail, email or fax (no phone calls, please!) your resume with a cover letter and three professional references. In your cover letter, please state your salary expectations and include any request/s for interview accommodations. We encourage persons with disabilities to apply.
Forward letter of interest and resume to the attention of Jody Hougentogler at Freedom Center for Independent Living, Inc. at email@example.com.
If interested, click “I’m Interested” below or by mail.
Mail: The Freedom Center for Independent Living, Inc.
Attn: Executive Director
400 North Broad Street, Ste A
Middletown, DE 19709
Fax: (302) 376-4395
The position will be open until it is filled.
FICIL is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sex orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status.
- June 8th, 2022
Join our team. Apply now!