Welcome to the Freedom Center employment page! If you’re looking for a rewarding career in becoming a team member of an organization that seeks to accomplish the mission of promoting independent living and full access for individuals with disabilities through advocacy, understanding, education and action in our communities, then you should join our Freedom Center family today!!
Independent Living Specialist – Middletown Location
Accessible Version of Application:
Freedom Center is a consumer-driven organization providing a variety of services and supports that enable persons with disabilities to live independently. We are currently seeking a creative, positive self-starter to expand our staff serving lower New Castle County. Ideal candidates for the Independent Living Specialist position will have personal and/or professional experience with disability, strong problem solving skills, an understanding of the issues relevant to the constituency served, knowledge of the programs, resources and entitlements available to them, and an understanding of the laws that are critical to ensuring people with disabilities achieve full inclusion in our society.
The Independent Living Specialist is the key point person for the organization in responding to consumers, their family members, social service professionals and the public at large. Critical to the position is the staff’s ability to engage the constituent in the process of identifying options and possible solutions and facilitating their taking ownership and responsibility for the outcome. Freedom Center’s mission is to promote consumer choice and control. All programs are delivered using a person centered planning approach.
Major Job Functions Include:
- Provide information and referral and self-advocacy skills training;
- Coordinate peer support activities which include facilitating crossdisability groups and providing individual one – on – one peer support;
- Provide independent living skills training and develop workshops asappropriate, as well as support the development of IL Plans withindividual consumers;
- Communicate program deliverables, accomplishments and outcomes;
- Represent the organization in promoting independent living philosophythrough presentations, community outreach, and participation oncommittees;
- Maintain appropriate records and files on interactions with constituents;
- Network with other professionals and targeted policy decision makers toensure the improvement and creation of programs and services inresponse to the needs of people with disabilities.
- The Independent Living Specialist must possess excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills and the personality to successfully develop relationships with the constituency served and interfaces with professional colleagues. Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study and be computer literate (Office 2000). Demonstrated ability and experience may be substituted for college degree.
Part time position 30 hours/week. PTO and Holiday Pay available. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Forward letter of interest and resume to the attention of Jody Hougentogler at Freedom Center for Independent Living, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Applicants should attach their resume/letter and put “Application for ILS position – February 2022” in the SUBJECT line of the email.
The position will be open until it is filled.
FICIL is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sex orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- February 20th, 2022
Join our team. Apply now!